[RESEARCH VOLUNTEER] Participants needed for brain stimulation study!
Our lab at the Department of Psychology at the University of Cambridge is currently looking for participants in psychological research. The purpose of this study is to examine the brain’s mechanisms for perception.
Most of the experiment will take place over separate days in the Department of Psychology (Downing Site, CB2 3EB). During the experiment, you will be asked to perform tasks, like pressing buttons on a keyboard. Two fMRI sessions will take place at the Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit (15 Chaucer Rd, CB2 7EF).
This study will include the following:
- Three sessions (each 1h) in which you will just perform a visual task in front of a screen. You will be compensated £7 per hour.
- Eight sessions (each 40min) that will involve the use of non-invasive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). The TMS technique we are going to use is a safe and widely used neurophysiologic method for non-invasive stimulation of the neural tissue of the brain in both clinical and research settings. It should not bring any lasting discomfort, but during the session you might experience gentle tapping feeling on the scalp. Eight of the total number of session includes TMS. You will be compensated £7.50 per hour.
- Two sessions (each 1h30min) in which you will undergo a Magnetic Resonance Imaging scan. This is a safe and widely used method in both clinical and research settings. You will have to lie still in the scanner and look at videos that are presented to you. You will be compensated £10 per hour.
For more details about the study, please see the document attached to this email. You will be asked to sign this document in our laboratory to confirm that you agree with the terms of the experiment.
How to take part:
- To be eligible to participate, you should have normal or corrected-to-normal vision without major visual impairments. Please note that during the experiment you will have to wear contact lenses, it will not be possible to wear your glasses.
- Please fill out this Screening Questionnaire: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UaoqTDwSsGpUcAe9o4deLUuqLy25SP3oJDJt4nLY_J0/viewform
- Next we will get in contact with you and invite you for your first experiment session.
During the experiment, you have the right to withdraw from the study at any time and you will be entitled to any agreed payment up to the point where you withdraw. The information which you supply will be processed in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. No identifiable personal data will be published.