[NOTICE] Tutoring and fundraising opportunities in Oxford!
Dear Clare MCR,
Firstly, thank you for your help so far – we have received an amazing support from Cambridge MCRs! As the summer is approaching, I am getting in touch once again to see if you could circulate this information around your mailing list.
Just as a recap, my name is Sijana and I am an Oxford graduate working for a dynamic social enterprise called OxFizz , which enables current students, recent graduates and post-graduates to raise money for a charity of their choice by teaching on our annual summer school. We are still looking for graduate students and postdocs in the following subjects: Economics, International Development, Law, Molecular Medicine, Politics and Psychology to volunteer as tutors this summer, and as such, I am getting in touch to ask if it is possible to circulate our short blurb and/or the attached leaflet around your mailing list. Last year our tutors raised over £1,500 for a charity of their choice!
Who are we?
OxFizz is committed to generate social good in three main ways:
- We generate desperately needed funds for charities chosen by our volunteers. Last year we raised £160,000 for charity.
- We support students from non-traditional university background to help them to earn places at top universities. We currently support students aspiring to study at top universities from across The Access Project, Villiers Park, The Sutton Trust, ARK Schools and Teach First.
- We empower recent graduates and current students to develop new skills and engage with philanthropy in an impactful way.
Our model works in the following way: we recruit and train our highly skilled volunteers to deliver a range of educational services, including tutorials and seminars at our annual summer school Oxford & Cambridge Summer School. In exchange for volunteering their time our tutors and seminar leaders raise money for a charity of their choice and they also support our work to improve access to top universities for students from non-traditional university backgrounds. I have attached the summary of our summer school’s social impact to this email.
Running our annual summer school allows us to fund both charity donations and our access work. It is a fantastic programme, and one which our volunteers in previous years have found hugely enjoyable and worthwhile.
I have attached a promotional leaflet and pasted the blurb below – it would be fantastic if you pass it around!
Oxford & Cambridge Summer School is recruiting! We are looking for postgraduate students and postdocs to volunteer their time as tutors at our annual summer school. OCSS is run by OxFizz – a social enterprise which enables current students, recent graduates and post-graduates to raise money for a charity of their choice by teaching on our annual summer school taking place in July and August in Oxford. Each summer school lasts two weeks, and the average time commitment is 90 minutes in the mornings, with one day off a week. All subjects welcome, but we are particularly keen to find tutors in following subjects: Economics, International Development, Law, Molecular Medicine, Politics, Psychology.
As an OxFizz volunteer you will:
- Raise significant amounts of money for your favourite charity. In 2015, our volunteers raised £63.83 an hour for a charity of their choice, and our summer school tutors raised over £1,500.
- Gain teaching experience. As a tutor you will have the opportunity to design your own course, teach academically able and ambitious teenagers and conduct one-to-one tutorials.
- Receive extensive training, resources and support.
Thank you once again for your help,
Sijana and the OxFizz teamOCSS-Tutors-Role-Description