Ever thought of using your technical skills to make a difference in food security and poverty reduction in the global south?
Want to combine your interest in digital technology and empower small-scale farming communities to improve their families’ livelihoods? Then read on!
There’s an exciting 12-16 month project with plenty of opportunities to travel around Colombia while coding.
Ideally, you can travel to and be based in Bogotá, Colombia. Or, out of London / Cambridge plus regular travel to Colombia.
Starting in April 2019, £1,500 / month + equity option plan.
About the startup:
At Farming Data, we develop user-centric software and use an inclusive approach to enable farmers in rural areas connect more easily to markets. With a vision of reaching the SDGs by 2030, our aims are to help reduce post-harvest waste, increase access to local and regional buyers, and double the incomes of small-scale farmers.
We are passionate about empowering small-scale farmers across the world to embrace the digital revolution by developing tools that are inclusive of their needs. Internally, we encourage an environment of being evidence-based, being user-focused, driving healthy growth, and learning from our mistakes.
What you’ll do in your role:
– Work closely with our founders to define and iterate technical roadmaps and product designs
– Build front-end Android applications, back-end development, and data analytics
– Work with other developers and designers to create the best user experience (UI/UX)
– Grow in your understanding of a variety of emerging technologies and methods
– Connect regularly with team members (using remote video meeting tools)
Who you are:
– Have 1+ year experience in software coding / computer science / engineering (whether from Bachelor’s degree or higher, equivalent training, or work experience)
– Have a good understanding of data structures (e.g. NoSQL), data analysis, and programming languages (e.g. python, java)
– Be familiar with the Android tool ecosystem (or be able to pick it up quickly!)
– Can bring new ideas to the table and help drive technical decisions
– Enjoy working with others in a flat organisation. Farming is a team effort after all!
– Most importantly, be proactive, learn new things quickly, and be passionate about food security and development!
Benefits and perks:
– Travel like a digital nomad. If you haven’t been to Colombia, you’re in for a treat! It’s a beautiful country. We pay for our team to travel and work alongside our partner organisations and smallholder farmers. They’re just as eager to meet you as we are.
– Opportunity of equity plan for early employees (up to 1.5%)
– 12-16 month fixed-term or sub-contract (£1.5k/mo), potentially leading to long term position.
– Regular personal career development opportunities. We want you to grow as we grow.
Does this sound like you?
Splendid! We’re excited to learn more about you. Visit http://bit.ly/2GAprFn
to send in your application before 23 March 2019. The sooner the better!